The weather looked dismal but five intrepid members started off, playing their regular skins game from the blue tees (Leo played white tees, as he has announced he will be doing for the foreseeable future). All was well until the group finished the nith hole. whereupon the heavens opened and rain poured for the better part of 45 minutes.
Leo, who had a prior commitment for the afternoon, called it a day, having won only one skin over the first nine. The remaining four soldiered on and the rains held off through the rest of the round. Although the rain was heavy while it lasted, and we could see standing water on the putting green, the ninth green, and the eighteenth, it all drained away afterwards (except for some bunkers with some standing water).
Once again the 13th hole proved decisive. Most holes on the front nine were won outright, but the 7th, 8th, and 9th holes had pushed at the turn, and then 10, 11, and 12 pushed as well. 5Points bogied for three points on 13 to win 7 skins. Darn high handicappers! At the end of the day, it was 5Points winning the Stableford and the most skins, while Graham, who came in second on the Stableford (one point behind 5Points) but won no skins at all. I guess it just doesn’t pay to play steady, consistent golf. At least not in skins. If you ain’t going for it, you ain’t trying hard enough! As for the Closest to the pin prizes, Bruce G took all of them. Darn low handicappers! If you aren’t going for it, and actually making it, you aren’t good enough to beat Bruce G!
- Winner: 5Points (35 Points)
- Runner-up: Graham (34 Points)
Closest to the pin:
- Bruce G (Holes 3, 7, 12 and 17) x 4
Santiburi Members and Friends: Every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday, 8:30 AM tee-off (Please be at the course by 8:15 AM).
Chiang Rai Golfers:
- Tuesday (24th) Waterford 7:45 AM (Walking Special 550 Baht before 8:00 AM), Thursday (26th) Happy City 8:30 AM.
- No games have been scheduled for Thursday, October 26, due to the royal cremation ceremony for King Bhumibol Adulyadej. Happy City is closed but we were told in a phone call to Waterford that it would be open. Best to check.