The recent rains have apparently caused the emergence of some kind of turf disease at Santiburi. The greens and some of the fairways are showing distinct signs of brown, dying grass, and there are many bare patches showing telltale black-colored soil underneath. The same thing happened last year, and the greenskeeping team leapt into action, solving the problem within a couple of weeks, and they will probably do the same this year. It really doesn’t affect play at the moment.
Today we had five participants, all members. We decided to play medal (stroke) play from the white tees. It apparently is called “stroke” play because the mere mention of it causes participants to lose feeling in one side and to slur their speech, and play like they have severe medical problems. Leo declared himself disqualified after only one hole. 5Points should have followed suit but doggedly stayed in the game. Perhaps his side bet with Bruce G had something to do with it.
Peter was playing pretty well, however, shooting one over par for the first nine holes, and Graham and Bruce G were in the mix.
At the turn, here was the situation:
|Player||H’Cap||Gross Score||Net Score|
On the back nine, the players reversed roles a bit. 5Points reeled off a gross 46, which is good for him, and 11 strokes better than his front nine. He ended up achieving a tie at net 75 with Bruce G, who slipped two strokes on his back nine, so their side bet ended with “no blood”. Peter and Graham both shot back nine 46’s, and they tied as winners of the stroke event, with scores of net 71 each.
|Player||H’Cap||Front 9 Gross||Back 9 Gross||Total Gross||Net Score||Stable- ford|
Closest to the pins:
- Hole 3: No One
- Hole 7: Peter (x2)
- Hole 12: Graham
- Hole 17: No One (Hole 17 was not awarded)
- Peter: +220 Baht
- Graham: +170 Baht
- 5Points: -130 Baht
- Leo: -130 Baht
- Bruce G: -130 Baht
Santiburi Members and Friends:
- Next SMAF Event: Thursday, January 11, 2018, 8:48 AM (Please be at the course by 8:30 AM latest)
- In general, every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday, 8:30 AM tee-off (Please be at the course by 8:15 AM) (Tee times may vary slightly during high season.)
- Don’t Forget to Sign Up!: Annual trip to Mae Moh, Lampang: February 7 – 8, 2018 — see the recent blog post with the information
Chiang Rai Golfers
- Tuesday, January 9, Waterford, 9am
- Tuesday, January 16, Waterford, 9.30am
- Tuesday, January 23, Waterford, 9.30am
- Tuesday, January 30, Waterford, 9am