Another sunny, very warm day with the course in excellent condition. The rough is getting long, and the fairways and greens are near perfect.
We had 11 players today: nine members, and two friends (“Jockey” John, a former member and long-time SMAF participant, and Ae, who came with Steve). We played our normal skins game from the blue tees. Jockey John decided not to participate in the skins game. However, he shot 40 points, so he may join in with us on Thursday. Leo and Steve played from the white tees.
Leo mentioned recently that historically, scores and handicaps start to come down this time of year, as the course begins to come up to perfection in the lead up to the Singha professional tournament. Today’s scores certainly reflect that reality. There were four Stableford scores in the 40’s (five if you count Jockey John’s 40), and four other scores greater than 35. You had to be shooting fours if you wanted to be in the money.
Ae took the top Stableford spot with 45 points. Steve came in second with 44 (he also won the most skins, with 6.83, garnering 433 baht). Egbert came in third with 43 (he tied for second with 5Points in skins, with 4.00 skins and 150 baht).
Bruce got closest on Holes 2 and 7. Leo took Hole 12, and Brian got hole 17.
Plans are starting to come together for the Community Cup, scheduled for March 26th, the day after the final round of the Pro tournament. 5Points contacted the course management, and they confirmed that the course setup for the Community Cup will be the same as the pros will be playing on Sunday, with the rough still long and the pin placements designed to force good shots. More info to come shortly!
Here are today’s results:
- Winner: Ae (45 Points)
- Runner-Up: Steve (44 Points)
Closest to the Pins:
- Hole 3: Bruce G
- Hole 7: Bruce G
- Hole 12: Leo
- Hole 17: Brian
|38||85||Leo – W||15||2.67||17|
|44||96||Steve – W||32||6.83||433|
*manipulated score — declared invalid
Santiburi Members and Friends:
- Thursday, March 8, 2018, 8:32 AM (please be at the course by 8:15 AM)
- SMAF plays every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday at 8:30 AM. Please be at the course by 8:15 AM!
- Save the Date: Monday, March 26, 2018 — SMAF-Sponsored COMMUNITY CUP Tournament — The day after the Singha Masters Pro event concludes. More details to come!
Chiang Rai Golfers:
- Tuesday, March 6, Waterford, 8.30am — Tea Bag Tournament
- Tuesday, March 13, Waterford, 8.30am
- Thursday, March 15, Happy City, 8.30am (All-up price is 1400 baht, including compulsory single cart).